, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

In June 2011, I shifted into a one room apartment in Defence Colony, New Delhi. Initially everything seemed fine. One day a friend of mine came to stay with me in this tiny apartment as she didn’t have any place to stay. She was thoroughly disorganized and I was having trouble dealing with her in such a small space. It was during those days that it happened that I lost my datacard/dongle. I blamed it on my disorganized friend who I thought had by mistake put it among her things. Then I bought another one, which was with me almost for an year. By that time I had a boyfriend. One day my boyfriend insisted that he wanted to spend the weekend in a nearby city. I had some submissions to do and I worked a bit with my dongle and retractable mouse. Once the work was over I put my dongle and mous aside in a corner and left with my BF. The next day when I returned, I looked for my dongle and I couldn’t find it. I looked everywhere, every inch of my tiny room, I couldn’t find it. I was upset as the retractable mouse did cost some money. However, this is not the first time that I was losing things. I had lost a camera. It seemed it had disappeared straight out of my bag, for remembered having put it in the morning and never having found it later. I had lost my cellphone in my office in mysterious circumstances. I remember putting it in my bag, when I reached home it was not there and then a week later the SIM card was found at the back of the building. It was really wierd as to how that happened because I never went to that side of the building and even the CCTV cameras of the office showed that I had put it in my bag. I have absolutely no idea how it came out of the bag and later went to the back of the building!! Anyway, coming back to that trip. We had bought some saris for our respective mothers and I had kept mine at the bottom of my almirah. However, a few days later when I looked for it the sari was missing!! Same frenzy. I looked everywhere and couldn’t find it. I started suspecting that someone was accessing my room. So I changed the lock. But disappearances continued and especially electronic objects. Sometimes it happened when I was outside my room also. For example once I had gone with my BF to drop him at the airport. On the way, I took out my new camera and took some pics. Then I clearly remember putting it in my bag. After seeing off my BF I came back home in the same taxi. But when I checked my bag there was no camera!!! once again I was paranoid and I checked my bag again and again like a mad woman. I tried to remember if I had ever left my camera in the car. I called the driver he said he didn’t see anything… once again I was suspicious about it, but I clearly could not remember having left it on the seat or something. Then in between, I lost a very sophisticated pen drive that I had bought in France as well as my voice recorder. I had visited Barcelona last year for a conference and the conference bag had an interesting pen and notebook. I looked at it and kept it aside thinking I would show it to my BF. But the moment I opened it a few days later, I was disappointed to see that it wasn’t there. A camera,the new one bought after the previous one was lost   had disappeared.  After all, these disappearances I have looked high and low all over my room but to no avail. Meanwhile, another dongle disappeared and since I had an urgent skype interview to attend I bought a new one – my fourth one in two years. This June, a friend had gifted me two wine bottles. One was half-empty, which I finished one night while doing some writing work and the other was unopened. One day while cleaning my room I thought I would keep the bottle aside for my parents, who were visiting the city the coming week. Two days later, I realised there was only one bottle sitting in the corner instead of two. This time I didn’t even bother searching. In the same month, however a crazy disappearance happened. I was learning to drive and my trainer would come at 9am exactly to pick me up. I was looking at my mobile, not at all fancy by any angle. Suddenly, it rang and the name displayed was of a friend with whom I am never been in touch, but I thought it was to do with a malfunction in the mobile. I picked up the phone – it was my trainer who told me he had arrived. I immediately closed my house and took my belongings. I was supposed to meet a friend after the session to accompany her to the hospital. In the car, I realised that my mobile was not with me. I asked the trainer to call. He said it was ringing somewhere but not in the car. Then I went back to my room and looked everywhere on my bed, where I usually leave my mobile if I have forgotten. I pulled out the sheets, threw the pillows on the ground. There was no sign of the mobile. I asked a neighbour to call my number. When we dialled it was unreachable!! In the evening I came back looked high and low – no mobile anywhere. Withing a week my new datacard also disappeared. I was frazzled I called my friend (whom I was supposed to take to the hospital). She told me a spine chilling story about DOP/Paranormal that happened in her house when she lived in Lajpat Nagar. She was a single mother and every night she would wind the clocks of her house to set the alarm so that her son would wake up to go to school. But every morning the alarm would ring one hour late than the set time and her son would miss the school bus. She had also been experiencing misplaced keys. Her keys would turn up in places she never could imagine keeping them. Every night she would lock the doors and sleep but when she woke up in the morning, it was as if someone had opened them and just bolted them. One day she decided to keep all the clocks in her room in the night. She sat working on the computer. The clock struck 12. But suddenly the timing of all the clocks in her room changed to 11pm. She went out to call her son. By the time she came back even the computer time had changed to 11pm! She and her son then sat in the living room and prayed. She then went back to check on the keys in the bedroom. They had disappeared! She went back and prayed in the living room. Both mother and son calmed themselves and went back to the bedroom. This time the keys were back! My friend then spoke loudly to the spirit(s) and asked them not to disturb her or her son again. The next day she called a priest and organized a religious ceremony to keep the evil spirit away. Since then, she told me, she always conducted religious ceremony once in three months wherever she lived. So I think praying is a great way to keep the spirits at bay!